Having a portable jump starter with added features like an air-compressor or a power inverter can really save your day when out on the beaten track. Even just driving around the city, who knows when you may get a flat battery or a flat tyre.
With an all in one jump starter you only need to pack and charge one device. So we took the opportunity to check out and review the top 5 rated jump starters that had an extra feature like an air-compressor for 2017. It’s now a race for many manufacturers to pack in the most features for the perfect price. Who wants to carry around multiple items in their car? Not me, I prefer to grab one unit to do it all.
Best Portable Jump Starter with Air compressor
#1 Stanley J5C09 1000 Peak Amp Jump Starter with Compressor
- Large 500 starting Amps/ 1000 PEAK Battery Amps
- Offers a 12-volt socket for external socket power like GPS accessory outlet plug, and are rated up to 5 amps.
- USB outlets to charge personal devices, 5 volts/500mA.
- High-powered safety LED light that can rotate 270 degrees
- 120 PSI Compressor with back-lit pressure gauge
- Reverse polarity alarm to warn the user of an incorrect jump connection
Having the Stanley 1000 battery jump starter in the boot of your car, means you are ready for most unexpected breakdowns. The situation gets worse when you’re alone and there’s not another car in sight that could possibly help you out. Being prepared with the Stanley 1000 Peak Amp Jump Starter with air compressor means not having to rely on someone else to either jump-start your car or pump up a flat tire.
Jumpit 500 Cold Cranking Amps
This device packs 500 amps of pure cranking power. To jump-start a flat battery all you need to do is connect the red and black clamps to your battery, turn on the power switch on the jump starter and start your vehicle. A nice safety feature is the built-in reverse polarity circuit. This adds an extra piece of mind that anyone can use this boost starter without damaging the car electronics, or the jump starter. If you connect it wrong a loud alarm will sound.
This jump starter also has a built-in USB port, which is useful if you need to charge your phone, or tablet. But what we are really after is the 120-psi air compressor that can help with low or completely flat tires. The air-line and power lead is long enough to reach all 4 tires of your car or truck. You have enough power to jump-start your car, truck, motorcycle, boat, jet-ski, RV or tractor. The Stanley 1000 Battery Jump Starter is perfect for everyday use or roadside emergencies. All rolled into one tidy package.
Just remember to charge your jump starter every few months or after you use it with the included wall charger.
Whether it’s the crazy weather with hot days or freezing winters, your battery can die for no reason. If you accidentally leave your car lights for a few hours, say good-buy to starting your car. The good news is most of them can be jumped started and charged back to normal operation. Especially if you charge it up with the newer battery smart chargers. The problem is many people rely on the old dangerous method of jumping their battery, with the use of jumper cables and another car battery. This is where if you don’t know what you are doing you can create a spark or put 24v into each car electronics and fry them.
The newer Lithium Ion Jump Starters that have been out for a couple of years now have a lot more advanced electronics for safety protection. Like reverse polarity, over current, over and under voltage. They are 1/4 the size of these units reviewed here today, but unfortunately they don’t come with an air compressor. Just another option.
All Stanley Jump Starter Models
Stanley has come up with a range of starters to suite all of us. The Stanley series jump starters allow you to jump your battery back to life without the use of another car. These powerful jump starters pack all the power you need, from 600 peak amps all the way up to 1000 peak amps, with 2 models even including an air compressor.
|Voltage||12 Volts||12 Volts||12 Volts||12 Volts|
|Amp Hours||7 aH||9 aH||19 aH||19 aH|
|Portable USB Power||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|12 Volt DC Port Plug In||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Reverse Polarity Alarm||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|On / Off Safety Switch||✓||✓||✓||✓|
The Stanley Jump Starter with air compressor User manual can be found here
Stanley Jump Starter with Air Compressor Review.
I have owned the Stanley 1000 starter for just over 1 year now and It has never let us down. I am a big believer in being prepared for most emergencies as a small outlay in tools and recovery gear now can save you heaps when an emergency arises.
After a lot of research I decided to purchase it due to the many positive reviews online and its considered one of the best portable jump starters and air compressors around.
We mainly use it to pump up and check the pressure of our 2 cars and 1 boat trailer every month. But it has been used to jump start a speed boat which had a flat battery out on the river. We found we could pump up 3 average sized 14 inch tires from flat to 32psi before the battery needed to be recharged. So that’s a lot of compressor run time.
Stanley 12 volt DC charger plug fuse replacement
The fuse in the plug end of the 12 volt DC charger protects the adapter’s charging circuit. If the 120 volt AC charger operates, but the DC charging adapter does not, then this fuse may be opened (blown). To replace the fuse
- Unscrew the end cap of the DC plug (counterclockwise).
- Remove spring centre contact and fuse.
- Check fuse with a continuity checker.
- If blown, locate a replacement 8 amp volt fuse.
- Replace the fuse, spring, contact and end cap.
- Screw end cap clockwise until it is finger tight – DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN
How to use Stanley Jump Starters
The Stanley series jump starters are very simple to use. Just hook the color coordinated clamps to your battery, turn on the switch and start your car or boat. Get it wrong and you will hear the alarm. To use the air compressor connect the air hose to your tire valve and turn on the pump. Switch off the air compressor when up to pressure and remove the inflation hose.
If you need portable power the Stanley series jump starters has a USB power port and 12 volt DC outlet. So when out on the road or if there is a power black out you are able to charge your cell phone, tablet or laptop. Portable power whenever you need.
When it time to charge your Stanley jump starters back up after using it or after a few months, it’s a very easy process. All you need is a power outlet and an extension cord. Pull back the cover on the back of the jumper, plug-in the extension cord and charge it until the LED indicator light turns green.
It’s best to charge your jump starter outside. This is in case these are any problems with the charging unit or any gas release from the battery.
Jump Starting Procedure
The Stanley range of Jump-Starters are equipped with an On/Off Power Switch. Once the connections are properly made, turn the switch on to jump-start the vehicle
- Turn off vehicle ignition and all accessories (radio, A/C, lights, connected cell phone chargers, etc.). Place vehicle in “park” or “neutral”and set the emergency brake.
- Make sure the Stanley Jump-Starter Power Switch is turned to off.
- Remove jumper clamps from the plastic clamp tabs. Connect the red clamp first, then the black clamp.
- Procedure for jump-starting a NEGATIVE GROUNDED SYSTEM (negative battery terminal is connected to chassis) (MOST COMMON) 4a. Connect positive (+) red clamp to vehicle battery’s positive terminal. 4b. Connect negative (–) black clamp to chassis or a solid, non-moving, metal vehicle component or body part. Never clamp directly to negative battery terminal or moving part. Refer to the cars owners manual for more information.
- Procedure for jump-starting POSITIVE GROUND SYSTEMS Note: In the rare event that the vehicle to be started has a Positive Grounded System (positive battery terminal is connected to chassis), replace steps 4a and 4b above with steps 5a and 5b, then proceed to step 6. 5a. Connect negative (–) black clamp to vehicle battery’s negative terminal. 5b. Connect positive (+) red clamp to vehicle chassis or a solid, non-moving, metal vehicle component or body part. Never clamp directly to Positive battery terminal or moving part. Refer to the automobile owner’s manual.
- When clamps are connected securely, turn the Stanley Jump-Starter Power Switch to ON.
- Turn ON the vehicle or boat ignition and crank the engine in 3-4 second bursts until engine starts.
- Turn the Portable Jump-Starter Power Switch back to the OFF position.
- Disconnect the negative (–) engine or chassis clamp first, then disconnect the positive (+) battery clamp
#2 Jump-N-Carry JNCAIR 1700-Amp 12-Volt Jump Starter with Air Compressor Review
- 1,700 Peak Amps; 425 Cranking Amps
- PROFORMER battery technology for reliable cranking and charging
- Extra-long 68″ cables
- Integrated air compressor with 12 foot long coiled air hose with screw-on chuck
- For protective cover, see model no. JNCCVRXL
- Metal valve stem for air hose (extra durability)
The Jump-N-Carry JNCAIR jump start with a built-in air compressor takes multi-function professional jump starting to a whole new level. It features include exclusive Clore PROFORMER battery technology, this is a large heavy battery designed to deliver high peak amps, extended cranking power, numerous jumps per charge, and a long service life. As this is the heaviest jump starter with air compressor to here we know this extra weight comes from the larger quality battery.
It also comes with automatic charging from a built-in charger, either from an extension lead or from the cigarette port in your car. It has extra long jump cables, and an integrated air compressor, the JNCAIR is as convenient as it is powerful.
Starter and Compressor All-In-One
The JNCAIR adds the convenience of never having to go to the service station again for a top up of air. It features an integrated, industrial grade Air compressor, which is equipped with a 12 foot air hose. This air hose length is good to be able to easily pump all 4 tires. With a screw-on chuck and built-in air pressure gauge you will have no problems reading the tire pressure. This compressor will fill a standard 15 inch car tire from flat in under seven minutes.
The Jump and Carry includes a nice large battery voltage gauge on the front. With the press of a button you can quickly see if you need to recharge the jump starter. It’s also simple to recharge the jump starter all that’s required is an extension lead. just plug it in to the prongs on the front and wait until the charge light turns from red to green.
Who manufactures Jump N Carry
Founded in 2001, but with an over 50 year heritage, Clore Automotive is a leader in the design, development and manufacture of automotive service equipment for professionals and consumers. Our brands include some of the most widely recognized names in the automotive equipment aftermarket, including Jump-N-Carry, Solar, Booster PAC, Truck PAC, and Charge it. From our Pro-Logix battery chargers to our BA Series battery analysis offering, our products are optimized to service the wide variety of batteries found in today’s vehicles.
#3 Schumacher XP2260 1200 Peak Amp Instant Portable Power Source and Jump Starter
- On/Off switch safely activates the jump start. On position leads are hot ready to go.
- Built-in charger for automatic charging of the internal battery
- Low pressure high volume air pump as well as high pressure low volume air compressor.
- 400 w modified sine wave power inverter for small electronic 110v electricity power.
- Sure-Grip clamps fit both top and side-mounted vehicle or boat batteries
- An internal maintenance-free, sealed lead acid battery allow for storage in any position
- Swivel AC plug energy-efficient eco charger for internal battery (extension cord not included)
- Battery level LEDs indicate when battery is fully charged or required to be charged.
|Item Weight||24 pounds|
|Product Dimensions||12.2 x 12.5 x 12.1 inches|
|California residents||Click here for Proposition 65 warning|
|Item model number||XP2260|
|Manufacturer Part Number||XP2260|
This Schumacher is classified as a 6 in 1 Jump Starter with Power Inverter and Air Compressor. This little unit has it all.
The first thing I noticed was that Schumacher xp2260 Jump Starter has a High volume air pump. This is great for those that quickly need to pump up an air mattress or a rubber boat for the river. Along side is the Low pressure compressor to pump up your car or motorcycle tires. A large back-lit pressure gauge on the back will show you tire pressure.
Instant Portable Power Source has an on/off switch that activates the jump start mode. A built-in charger for automatic charging of the internal battery; just connect an extension cord to the plug to recharge (cord not included). The battery status LEDs tell when a battery is charged or needs to be charged. The Sure-Grip Clamps fit both top and side-mount batteries. The cable will stay flexible in the coldest weather. A maintenance-free, sealed lead acid battery allow for storage in any position.
|Where To Buy||XP400||XP750C||XP2260|
|Built-in Work light||✓||✓||✓|
|Battery Status LEDs||✓||✓|
|12V Accessory Outlet||1||1||2|
|120V AC Outlet Invert||2|
|Built-in Air Compressor||✓||✓|
|Built-in Inflator/ Deflator||✓|
If you have some extra money the Schumacher XP2260, with the included 110v inverter module can power some all of your small devices while away from home like lights, fans, or laptops. This was the only all in one jump starter here that included this feature. Hopefully in the future it will become a regular addition to most starters.
#4 Black & Decker JUS500IB 500 Amp Jump Starter with Built in Compressor
- Large 500 Instant starting amps and 1000 peak Amps for maximum performance
- 120 PSI air inflate for vehicle tires, sports equipment, push bikes and more
- Small Low-profile design for easy storage within a car, boat or garage
- Visual and audible reverse polarity safety alarms warn against incorrect connections to battery terminals.
- Bright LED area light for increased visibility when jump starting at night
The Black & Decker 500-Amp Jump Starter with inbuilt air compressor provides instant starting power to get your car up and running again. The integrated 120 PSI inflation compressor is perfect for adding extra air to vehicle tires, sporting equipment, air mattresses, and other inflatable items. This jump starter features an innovative low-profile design so it wont take up too much room in your vehicle or shed. With its lay flat design it will easily fit in some low profile boot spaces or under a seat.
It also comes equipped with an ultra-bright LED light. but so do most units now days.The cable clamps store easily on the unit and are not to hard to open and clamp onto your car battery.
#5 Performance Tool W1665 900 Amp Jump Starter, inflation and Portable Power Unit
- 900 Peak Amps/400 Cranking Amp Jump Starter & 300 psi Air Compressor inflation for pumping up tires and inflating rafts, balls, air mattresses & other blow up items
- Reverse polarity warning light and beep signal help prevent damaging unit or battery
- Three LED Battery Level Indicator lets you know how much power you have left at all times & Automatic shut-off prevents over charging the battery
- ON/OFF Safety switch for jumper cables and equipped with 12 Volt, 12AH Sealed Lead Acid Battery
- 24″ Inflation hose
The Performance Tool’s Model No. W1665 is a 900 amp Jump Starter and Inflation. It has an average 400 cranking amp battery alongside a 300 psi Air Compressor. This is a low volume high pressure air pump designed for pumping up tires and inflating rafts, balls, air mattresses, water biscuits & other objects. The Blue LED Work Light is bright enough to assist when you are working at night or as a safety light when broken down.
The three LED Battery Level Indicator will let you know how much battery power you have left. All you need to do is press the red battery test button. When charging the starter an automatic shut-off prevents over charging of the internal the battery. For extra safety the W1665 is designed with a reverse polarity warning light and alarm. This helps prevent damage to the unit or vehicle.
Whats Included In the box
Two 12V Power Adaptor Outlets, ON/OFF Safety switch for jumper cables, Equipped with 12 Volt, 12AH Sealed Lead Acid Battery. One UL Certified 120V/12V charging adaptor
Honourable Mention is the Rally Portable 8 in 1 Power Source and Jump starter with backup Hand Generator
- Jump start any 12 volt battery quickly and safely
- Emergency hand generator charges battery as a backup
- 140 watt inverter operates a variety of household products
- USB power source to operate and recharge portable electronic devices
- 260 PSI air compressor for high pressure inflation of tires and more
|Item Weight||12.2 pounds|
|Product Dimensions||14 x 12 x 9 inches|
|Item model number||7471|
|Discontinued by manufacturer||Yes|
|140 W DC/AC power inverter||Yes|
|Manufacturer Part Number||7471|
The Rally 8 in 1 Power Source, Jump starter / Air compressor is a bonus extra that we decided to add in this review to give you some more options. If you are after an end of the world boost pack, you can’t get better than this one.
One of the most versatile portable jump starter and power source units around, the on-board pull handle generator will ensure that you will never be without power. Even when the grid goes down and the zombies come out. Now you can take 140 watt of AC/DC power anywhere, it’s not a whole lot of power and may only power the most basic of electronics or lights, but hey its perfect for roadside emergencies, power outages, camping and more.
The compact design includes: a jump starter with cables.
- 140 watt power inverter with one AC outlet
- USB port for operating and recharging iPods, cell phones, digital cameras and MP3 players
- LED work light with emergency flashing
- 260 PSI air compressor with pressure gauge
- 12 volt outlet and much more.
- Recharges with AC current, 12 volt DC adaptor or the on-board pull-handle generator.
After reviewing The top 5 Best Portable Jump Starters with Air compressors, there is only one standout machine. The Stanley 1000 with air compressor still takes out our top rated jump starter. With its large internal battery, great looks, fantastic price, strong compressor and great peak starting amps is hard to pass it by. With being one of the top-selling Boost Packs in the world it was the main reason I purchased this starter for myself.
If you are after a much larger peak amp jump starter like for example you need to start a semi trailer truck, you should check out our review on the 3000 amp Truck Pac which can also switch between 12 and 24 volts. The down side is it does not include an air compressor.