If you are beginning to get over whelmed in life due to the busy schedules, intense work deadlines and full on family pressures you may benefit from doing some simple meditation to help bring your mind back into a relaxed state.
One device that really helped me deal with the stresses of life as well as being able to get focused with meditation is the Muse brain sensing headband from Interaxon. This little device will keep you in a meditation trance state while your brain relaxes and repairs itself.
I never really thought meditation could help me deal with life in general. But the more research I have done with my problems with sleeping as a shift worker and the stresses of life, work and family, it just seemed something that I should try out.
Muse Brain Sensing Headband Review
I have been using the newer Muse generation 2 headset for around 6 months now, paired to a Samsung Galaxy S7. This meditation training device has really helped improved my reflection routine to be able to quickly get into that deep meditative state. With regular practice you can quickly get into that Goldie locks zone in as little as 3 minutes a day, any time, anywhere. Although I usually do a 12 minute session, this is best for me.
With 2 colors currently available white and black, you can choose either the light or the dark side. You can adjust the size as it’s a one size fits all. Even my children who are all under 13 years old, have had a go with some interesting results. It comes in a nice storage case which will protect your biofeedback headband. I actually have taken mine to work, and use it during my lunch break at times. Let those creative ideas flow.
- Quickly gets you in the deep meditative state, even with no experience.
- Tracking of your progress on each session.
- Range of 3rd party apps and games that can be used with the Muse Headband.
- Can help with treating problems such as depression, stress and anxiety.
- Easy to use, and can be shared with the whole family with multiple accounts.
- Fantastic official app to show your progress in real time.
- Slightly expensive but its a one off cost with amazing features. Well worth the money in my opinion.
- Needs to have contact to clean skin for it to work well.
Why we need to meditate
Over time your brain will begin to get overloaded with the trials of life. Sometime we can get a little overloaded and require a time out. This is when an electronic meditation device can help with resetting your mind.
The Muse bio-metric headset is a fantastic tool that gives you accurate, real-time feedback on what’s happening in your brain when you meditate. If you don’t know how to meditate or are having trouble staying focused then this is the one for you.
I had been wanting to use deep meditation to help me sleep. As a shift worker sleeping at odd hours of the day and night, I was starting to make me have really bad mood swings. Waking up without enough sleep was beginning to take its toll.
I tried the Philips wake up alarm clock, and while that has helped a great deal for waking up feeling positive, I was still getting stressed at work. Learning about all the benefits of meditation – such as relaxation, improved mood and reduced stress, made we want to learn more.
One of the top rated products that I came across to assist me in learning to meditate, was the generation 2 Muse brain sensing headband. This is a product that has been fully tested and reviewed positively by thousands of people young and old.
Research has shown that by using the Muse app, and starting with a short 3-5 minute meditation session will dramatically help you build a strong mind. This is a routine that will greatly improve your stress and anxiety levels. The measurements Muse takes are totally harmless to people and only provide information and details about your general meditation state.
This gen 2 biofeedback headset will measure your brain waves, it does this using EEG. (also know as electroencephalogram.) The Muse headband is a small band that sit easily on your head and measures your brain activity through its special sensors. There are 7 EEG sensors capable of reading 4 channels of data. Two on the forehead and two at the top of the ears. With the remaining reference sensors on the forehead.
Because your brain cells communicate via electrical impulses and are active all the time, the muse can measure and interpret some of these signals.
The science behind the Muse headband
Your brain waves are completely different depending on your environment and state of mind. If you are in love or feel anxiety your brain waves will look different through the EEG. The signal your brain outputs look much like a sine wave, such as fast and slow, low and high frequency. As we experience different emotions our waves change.
Brain Waves frequency explained
- INFRA-LOW (<.5HZ) — Infra-Low brainwaves are also known as Slow Cortical Potentials. They are thought to be the basic cortical rhythms that underline our higher brain functions.
- Delta Waves – (0.5 – 3 Hz) — Delta brainwaves are a slow and wide frequency. They happen when you are in a deep, dreamless sleep. Newborns sleep in this stage, adults less so. But are super important for the brain to repair its self. It’s the main source of empathy.
- Theta Waves – (4 – 7.9 Hz) — Theta brainwaves occur most often in deep dreaming sleep like REM sleep. Theta Waves are also more dominant in deep meditation. This is a state we would all like to achieve.
- Alpha Waves – (8 – 12 Hz) — Alpha brainwaves are dominant during relaxed quietly flowing thoughts, and in some meditative states. This is the mode your mind is in when daydreaming and watching TV. It’s why we enjoy watching TV so much.
- Beta Waves – (13– 38 Hz) — The awake state. Beta brainwaves dominate our normal every day waking state. This is when we engage in activities and conversation.
- Gamma Waves – (38 Hz+) — Gamma brainwaves are the fastest of brain waves. Hyper alert, good for insights and higher learning. It passes information rapidly, but the mind must be relaxed to process thoughts. Love and Spirituality excel in this state.
No Drugs Required
Amazing meditation made easy technology
Your brain is constantly generating electrical signals like the Delta, Beta, Theta, and Gamma waves we talked about earlier on. So when you’re thinking, sleeping or even relaxing. These signals or waves can be detected from outside your head, via special sensitive sensors.
The Muse head-gear uses the same brain sensing neuro-feedback technology that doctors and scientists have used for over a century to detect and measure your brain signals. This is very similar to how a heart monitor can measure and record your pulse.
Muse headband has 7 finely calibrated sensors – Two on the forehead, Two behind the ears and three reference sensors. These are all used to detect and measure the activity of your brain.
- Muse is your personal meditation assistant to keep you on track.
- Sometimes your mind is calm and sometimes it’s wandering. Muse will guide you to a calm mind with neurofeedback training with sound.
- Easy to use just put on the Muse headset, plug-in your ear buds, start the app, and close your eyes. Fully immerse yourself within the sounds of a beach, rain-forest, desert and others.
- While you meditate, Muse will measures whether your mind is calm or active, and gives you biofeedback which it will translate that data, into weather noise sounds.
- When you’re calm, you’ll hear peaceful weather sounds. When your mind wonders, the weather will intensify like a storm. This will guide you back to a calm state. Just concentrate on your breathing. It’s simply an amazing piece of technology.
- After each session, your data is stored on your phone enabling you to review your data, set goals, and build a deeply rewarding meditation practice that will get better every time.
- Charge via micro-USB jack, just like most cell phones.
How to tell what version Muse Headband you have
Muse Meditation Biofeedback Device Training FAQ
Can I have multiple accounts on Muse app?
You sure can just log out of the app and re log in with another registered user. All your stats will be recorded and updated.
I want to record my brain waves without the background music is this possible?
Yes just head over to the Muse developers page and download the SDK this will give you more raw interesting features. There are also some 3rd party apps for the Muse. You can check out all your brain waves like the Alpha. Beta, Delta waves etc with Muse Monitor.
How can I check the battery life on the Muse Headband
You can check the battery level of your Muse headgear by powering on the Muse and quickly tapping the power button on your Muse. The LED lights will glow on your headband and will indicate the battery level. The more LED lights that illuminate, the more charge your Muse has.
It should around 3 hours to fully charge the Muse meditation device. A fully charged Muse will give you around 4+ hours run time. This is due to the internal battery being high quality 552030 Lithium Polymer 250mAh 0.925Wh 3.7V Shown in this Muse tear-down.
You can also see the battery level of your headband during a meditation session – you will find the battery icon at the bottom of the app screen.
Does the Muse Headgear require the internet on a smart phone or tablet?
Yes the Muse app will require the internet first off to download the app from the Android or Apple stores and to originally log in and sync your data. After that it will work without the internet. Bluetooth is all that is required. To re-sync your brain wave history you will need to connect to the muse internet servers.
My Muse headband has a bad signal contact connection.
Sometimes the muse headgear will have trouble sensing your brain waves. Even if it’s already comfortable, try pulling or pushing the earpieces in and out. This will give you a better tighter fit for the sensors. Very similar to adjusting a pair of over the ear headphones. Find where you can feel the headband sensors putting a comfortable amount of pressure against your skin, but not too much pressure. As you wont be able to meditate with your brain being squeezed. The headband shouldn’t be so tight as to be squeezing your ears forward.
If you still don’t have a good enough return signal, try wiping the sensors with a damp rag, this can help establish a connection.
Make sure your skin is clean. Make-up, sunscreen and heavy buildup of natural oils from your skin, can form an electrical barrier that blocks the brain signals from reaching the sensors. Try wiping off any make up and natural oils, with a damp cloth.
How to pair the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Muse headband with Bluetooth
Muse released the newer meditation headset in 2016 it uses Bluetooth with Low Energy technology to broadcast its availability to nearby devices. As such, pairing the headband with the mobile device is not required. All you need to do is turn the headband on and wait for the device to detect it.
To pair a first gen Muse headband, which was released in 2014 you have to pair the headset with device using the device’s Bluetooth settings. This is done by following the steps below.
- In the Settings menu of your device, either IOS or Android tap/select Bluetooth.
- Put the Muse meditation headband into pairing mode by holding the button down for five to 6 seconds until all five LEDs begin to flash on and off at the same time. Release the button.
- Press search for available devices.
- After a few seconds Muse will appear in the list of Available Bluetooth devices. Select it.
- You may be prompted to accept a pairing request from Muse, select OK..
Wait a few seconds for the pairing handshake process to complete. When it is done, Muse will be added to the list of approved paired devices. It will now auto connect every-time you use your Muse.
Can you post the Muse meditation headband to Australia?
Yes, they post to all over the world, to buy and post to Australia check out the link below.
Check out the official Muse headband meditation help video
How to use the Muse Headband?
First connect to the app
Begin by connecting your Muse headgear to the app on your mobile phone or tablet via Bluetooth. You will only need to do this the first time. After that your Muse headset will automatically try to link to the last device it was paired or connected to.
Make sure to do the tutorial
The very first time you use Muse electronic meditation device, you’ll be led through an easy tutorial. This demo will teach you how to adjust the headband for a perfect fit. This ensures that the Muse can correctly read your brain wave signals.
Always calibrate the Muse Brain Sensing Headband
Your brain, and everyone other brain in the world are very different. Your day-to-day activities and the environment you are in, will also affect the calibration each day. This is why it is important to calibrate the Muse meditation device before each session. The Muse will take a snapshot of your brain in a natural state. It then uses this snapshot image as a reference to understand your brain signals as you meditate.
Lets go and meditate
The Muse biofeedback headband will constantly give you feedback about your meditation state in real-time. It does this by translating your brain signals into the sounds of a familiar relaxing tones like wind or waves.
As your mind becomes calm and settled, you will hear calm and settled winds or waves. But as your mind is becomes more active the winds will pick up and blow harder. This is a cue to start to relax again and think of nothing but drift off to within yourself.
After a few weeks you will have trained your body to be able to enter a deep thought meditation state with minimal effort. I found that this device has helped me sleep better and wake up feeling more refreshed. It’s all bout reconditioning your brain, and meditation helps to reset all the stresses in life.
For more information check out the Muse brain sensing headband reviews on Amazon. I’m sure it will change your life for the better, just as it has mine. Not many devices can have a positive effect on your life, but this headset has truly helped me have a whole new outlook on my life in this wonderful huge world.