I wanted to build a quad copter for a while now, as I had grown up with remote cars and planes but didn’t want to spend the huge money some retail places were charging for ready to fly quads…
I already had a lot of parts required like batteries, remote, charger, servo leads etc so my build was cheaper than buying all the items listed below. But I added them all anyway for those starting out new. So How to build a Quadcopter? read on for full instructions, parts list and flight video.
Here is the parts list to build a fast, cheap, reliable, Quadcopter.
The Hobbyking SK450 is a brilliantly designed 450mm quad frame built from top quality materials. The main frame is high quality glass fiber while the arms are constructed from ultra durable polyamide nylon.
This quad not only looks great, it’s very well thought out as well. Assembly is a breeze with pre-threaded brass sleeves for all of the frame bolts, so no lock-nuts are required. It utilizes one size of bolt for the entire build, making the hardware very easy to keep in order and only requiring one size of hex wrench to assemble.
4 x 28mm 1000~1200kv (or similar size/kv)
4 x 15~25 Amp ESC
4 x 8×4~10×4.5 Prop (2CW & 2CCW)
1 x HobbyKing Multi-Rotor Control Board
1 x 1500~2200mAh 3s 11.1v Lipoly battery
Quadcopter Build Frame
Start your Quadcopter build by putting together the frame of the quad. And insert the breakout cable into the middle of the frame. Solder on any connectors you may need. Attach the motors to the frame but not props yet, attach the speed controllers to each arm of the frame. I attached my speed controllers underneath each arm but some people put them on top for more protection it’s up to you. Good time to program each speed controller now using the program card. Use blue thread-lock on all screws, I mean all of them. The vibrations will shake it all loose.
Speed Controller for 450 Size
Plush 30 Brushless Speed Controller The Plush series ESC are a very good quality controller. They have a huge range of programming features and a smooth throttle response compared to other BESCs in the same price range.
- User Programmable, both via controller and optional programming card
- Cont Current: 30A
- Burst Current: 40A
- Lipo Cells: 2-4
- Use for Air-plane, Helicopter, and Multi-copter
Quadcopter Motor Brush-less
Turnigy D2836/11 750KV Brush-less Out-runner Motor
- Spec.Battery: 2~3 Cell /7.4~11.1V
- RPM: 750kvMax current: 14A No load current: 0.8AMax power:
- 210W Internal resistance: 0.160 ohmWeight:
- 71g (including connectors)
- Diameter of shaft: 4mm
- Dimensions: 28x36mProp size: 7.4V/12×6 11.1V/9×6
- Max thrust: 800g
Mini KK2.15 Multi-rotor LCD Flight Controller V1.9S
The next evolution of the rotor revolution is here!! The KK-mini is packing all the same power, but with a new mighty-mini form factor.
- The KK-Mini is the next Big/Small evolution of the first generation KK flight control boards, will fit in easy for most quadcopter builds.
- A host of multi-rotor craft types are pre-installed, simply select your craft type, check motor layout/propeller direction, calibrate your ESCs and radio and you’re ready to go
- The original KK gyro system has been updated to an incredibly sensitive 6050 MPU system, making this the most stable KK board ever and allowing for the addition of an auto-level function.
- The KK-Mini added polarity protection to the voltage sense header and on-board buzzer.
Turnigy 9X 2.4GHz 8Ch Receiver (V2)
Reciever for TURNIGY 9X transmitter (V2).
Get that locked-in feeling that only 2.4Ghz glitch free technology can provide. Ultra fast reaction times and interference-free control of your model is only achievable with this 2.4Ghz technology. Perfect for your new Quadcopter build.
- Dimensions: 52x35x15mm
- Weight: 18g
- Note: Only RX-9X8Cv2 receiver is compatible with TX-9X(v2) transmitter module.
1st off make sure you have got all your parts nothing worse than starting a build and finding out you need something else.
Mounting KK2 Board
Mount your kk2 board. I use the box it came in and bolted it down with nylon screws and nuts to the top of the quad. Hot glue can work wonders here. Mount the receiver and wire it up to the kk2 board.
Don’t attach propellers yet!
The kk2 controller setup.
The KK2 board will require some setting changes to make it work with you quadcopter. The settings used are as follows.
The manual for the kk2.0 can be download here
Do the sensor test first to make sure all your sensors on the kk2 are correct, and you dont have a faulty controller
Roll/Pitch P Gain: 75
Quad Roll/Pitch P Limit: 50
Roll/Pitch I Gain: 40
Quad Roll/Pitch I Limit: 20
Yaw P Gain: 75
Quad Yaw P Limit: 20
Yaw I Gain: 30
Yaw I Limit: 10
KK2 Self level :
Aux This is set on my remote to the aux channel
Yes, Auto disarm: yes, CPPM enabled: No
KK2 Stick scaling:
Roll :30 Pitch:30 Yaw :50 Throttle: 90
Minimum Throttle :10
Height Damp :0
Height D limit :30
Alarm 1/10 volts :106 this will trigger audible alarm at 10.6v
Servo filter: 50
KK2 Self Level Settings:
P Gain :75 P Limit :40 Acc Trim Roll :0 Acc Trim Pitch :0
Roll 1, Pitch 2, Throttle 3, Yaw 4, Aux 5
Throttle 100, Aileron -71, Elevator 71, Rudder 100, offset 0,
type : ecs, Rate : high
KK2 board load motor layout:
Select Quad copter x mode.
Calibrate Speed Controllers ESC:
After all settings are in leave props off and test run the quad and make sure all motor spin the right way. Check all connections and tape up or heat shrink them. Cable tie all loose items and cables.
Install props and lock tight all metal to metal screws on your quad copter. Believe me if you don’t they will vibrate loose and you will destroy your quad. Test spin to 20% speed make sure it all spins correct and true. Add some left and right up and down to see if quad responds while on the ground it will move slightly.
Give some throttle you should take off. Enjoy….
I ended up installing some pool noodles on the quad as the pictures show to enable softer landings on concrete. Works very good.
Turnigy 9x Radio setup found Here for this DIY quadcopter build.
Turnigy Accucel 6 Balance Charger
To charge your batteries check out the excellent The Turnigy Accucel 6 Balance Charger, it utilises quality FET’s and resistors to accurately balance and charge LiPoly and NiMH batteries.
The Accucel-6 will handle LiPoly/LiFe up to 6S and NiMH/NiCd up to 15S and shows individual cell voltage during charge with real-time updates throughout the charge cycle. The smart menu system means charging and cycling is an easy process and can be done quickly and accurately either at the field by using a 12v input such as a car battery or at home with a 12v quality power supply.
Bundled with the Accucel-6 is a a range of input and output wires which should satisfy any charging requirement.
Turnigy Accucel 6 Features:
- Microprocessor controlled
- Delta-peak sensitivity (NiMH/NiCd)
- Individual cell balancing
- Li-ion, LiPoly and LiFe capable
- Ni-Cd and NiMH capable
- Large range of charge currents
- Store function, allows safe storage current
- Time limit function
- Input voltage monitoring. (Protects car batteries at the field)
- Data storage (Store up to 5 packs in memory)
- Battery break in and cycling.
- Specs: Input Voltage: 11~17v Circuit Power: Max Charge: 50W / Max Discharge: 5W Charge Current Range: .1~6.0A NiMH/NiCd Cells: 1~15 LiIon/LiPoly Cells: 1~6 Pb battery Voltage: 2~20v
- Weight: 355g This charger has a JST-XH charge plug, which makes it compatible with Zippy, HXT, TURNIGY and any pack with a JST-XH adapter.
Batteries For your Quadcopter
Turnigy batteries are well-known all over the world for performance, reliability and price. Its no surprise to us that Turnigy Lipoly packs are the battery everyone uses for those in the know. They deliver the full rated capacity at a price everyone can afford.
Turnigy batteries are equipped with heavy-duty discharge leads to minimise resistance and sustain high current loads. They stand up to the punishing extremes of aerobatic flight and also rough usage in RC vehicles.
Each pack is equipped with gold-plated connectors and JST-XH style balance connectors. All Turnigy Lipoly batteries packs are assembled using quality matched cells.
- Minimum Capacity: 2200mAh Configuration: 3S1P / 11.1v / 3Cell
- Constant Discharge: 25C Peak Discharge (10sec): 35C Pack
- Weight: 188g Pack Size: 105 x 33 x 24mm
- Charge Plug: JST-XH Discharge plug: XT60
For more information check these Turnigy batteries out over at Amazon, for full specifications and user reviews.
Best Turnigy Remote 2.4ghz 9x
This remote has been flashed with v2 firmware update, correcting many flaws of the previous 9X, plus inbuilt 2.4Ghz. This is a quality, reliable 2.4Ghz system suitable for beginners and pro pilots alike.
Without a doubt, it’s the best value 9Ch remote system available.
- Number of Channnel: 8ch ppm/9ch pcm
- Display: 128*64LCDSupport
- Type: Heli/Acro/GlidSupport
- user: 8 Stick
- model: 4Encoder type:
- ppm/pcm Subtrim: Simulator
- Interface: Yes LCD
- Buzzer: Yes Low Voltage
- This firmware flash is only available from our TURNIGY 9X system as we flash each unit in our office before it is shipped. Purchases of any other re-branded version of the TURNIGY 9X will not have the latest firmware and patches (even the OEM factory does not have these updates) .NOTE: ‘SWITCH ERROR’ means you have one of the switches in the wrong position when you turn the radio on. It is not a fault. It happens to me all the time
All extra accessories for this project can be found in the links below.
- 5.5mm Bullet to 4 x 4.0mm Multistar ESC Power Breakout Cable
- Scorpion Lipoly Lock Strap 205mm (Small) x 3
- Slow Fly Electric Prop 11×4.7R SF (4 pc – Green Right Hand Rotation)
- Slow Fly Electric Prop 11×4.7SF (4 pc – Green)
- PolyMax 3.5mm Gold Connectors 10 PAIRS (20PC)
- Twisted 15CM Male to Male Servo Lead (JR) 22AWG (10pcs/set)
- TURNIGY BESC Programming Card
Check out our 450 size quadcoper in a battle with a Magpie bird. Our quad was undamaged. Had the training dampers on for a soft landing. This bird would have brought down many other lower quality quad copters.
Australian parts list can be found here
European parts list can be found here
If you are looking for a cheap and reliable pocket drone for your kids (Or Yourself ) this Christmas look no further. The FQ777-127 is a champion, micro,nano,mini what ever you want to call it little flyer.
The micro drone is super reliable and can take a beating, kids will have hours of fun at a very low-cost. Check it out.