Setting up home security can seem like a complicated process, but it really is very simple. With a few simple steps and planning, you can have your house inside or outside monitored 24 hours a day, either from your Computer, Email or Mobile device. We show you how to install a Swann 460 ADS wifi cctv camera
How to Install a Swann 460 ADS WIFI Security Camera
First make sure that you can get power to your Swan 460 camera. This is done either by tapping into an existing 240v / 110v power supply, or if required run a new cable to supply power.In my case I tapped into an existing circuit using a single roof Socket base plug like the ones used for down lights.
Drill a 16mm hole for the camera cables to pass through into the roof space. Then screw the camera into the ceiling with wall plugs and screws or if going into wood or cement board the appropriate screws.
Plug the cables into the GPO roof socket and power on the unit. One thing to mention is the camera already comes with a 8gb micro SD card pre-installed. This is where the motion triggered videos and images have be installed.
Once you have power connected you will need to connect to you WIFI and set the camera parameters. This is done by pressing the WPS button on your router and also on the camera cable leg.
Pairing the Swan 460 camera and your router using WPS, What you will need
- A router with WPS capabilities and WPS enabled
- DHCP active on your network (typically with the router as the DHCP host)
1) Press the WPS pairing button on your router. This button is located in different places on different routers –
2) Press and hold the WPS/Reset Button on the Swann 460 camera for three to five seconds.
3) Don’t hold the Reset Button too long, or it will reset the pairing you just did
4) Your router should signal that pairing is successful, again check the documentation for information on how it displays this .
Other Settings of Note:
- Set Alarm: Select enable alarm, moving detection, video record and capture image.
- Email notifications: Set SMTP to your email providers details. You will get an email with a video file and pictures if set up correctly on movement.
- All in all this was an OK camera for the price. If anything I would like better angle view which is about 45 Deg, which is great for a hall way or narrow passage but not much else. Enjoy.
Setting alarm trigger of 9 was perfect for me. Default of 5 wasn’t triggering.
SwannEye HD software is a free desktop program that enables you to monitor your wireless network cameras, like the Swan 460. The program allows you to schedule recordings, configure your camera, set the alarm when any motion is detected, and to change settings on each Security camera on the multi-screen display.There is also a Swan Mobile app for changing settings but I found it was crashing the camera. Hopefully an update will be out soon for Swan Android app.
Swann security camera review
The swan wi-fi security camera has been an ok security camera. The main issue I have is the beam angle. It’s just not wide enough.
Sure for a hall way or monitoring a drive way it would work well. But to monitor a whole back yard it just not wide angled enough. Very little information on beam angle for this camera.
As for drop-outs, its all fixed. Not sure if it was an update firmware or software related.
I get an email on each motion detected with pictures and a 10 second video file. I have set up rules in outlook to move each email into a Security folder for review at a later date.
The YI Dome Camera Pan/Tilt/Zoom Wireless IP Security Surveillance System will be used to replace this Swan camera. I will give you a review shortly on how it went.