Having to drag out the old trusty large Lead acid jump starter, is a real pain in the butt. So I embarked on a journey to work out what was the best value, feature rich, and best quality lithium jump starter.
It also had to fit within my budget. I chose the mid-range market for my needs, but it must have a Lithium battery, for instant power. The mid-range price point is somewhere between $70 to $120. Not a huge expense, but hey we all want value for our money right?
There are just so many different types and brands of peak jump packs out there. A highly portable, compact car jump starter is a must for everyone who has a vehicle, motorcycle or boat.
So we got together the Best top 8 popular mini jump starters around and started some quality testing.
Top 8 Best Lithium Ion Battery Jump Starters reviewed
The best Lithium-ion jump starter we came up with after reviewing many online, buying many, borrowing a few to check out, and selling the rest, was the DBpower 600A lithium jump starter.
Often this jump starter is out of stock due to popular demand, so if it is, check out its bigger and better brother the DBpower 1200A Peak Portable Car Jump Starter.
Now, this review post will take about 15 minutes reading, But continue reading to make your own conclusions depending on your needs. You will learn all about whats inside portable jump starters. The power rating of portable jump starters, and special features of different peak lithium-ion jump starters.
The simple qualities that made this DBPower the best lithium ion jump starter are:
- Fast 2.4A USB output, highest in this class. Super fast for charging phones and tablets.
- LCD screen for accurate battery level
- Bright LED torch to help at night when you break down.
- 18000mAh internal lithium battery highest in this class.
- Quality compact mesh case, with added accessories to charge phones and laptops
- The output voltage can be switched between 12V/16V/19V very cool
- Price at the lower end of my price range. Great, quality and features.
- Over 400 positive 5-star reviews on Amazon
Now your needs may be different to what I determined the best price to performance ratio, on a Lithium-ion jump starter. For more information, special offers and reviews, see it on Amazon.
Check the table below and see what looks good for your needs. We made a spreadsheet of many important features to quickly compare many different types of multi-function starters shown below.
Portable Jump Starters comparison table.
Check out our comparison list of Specifications and Features for each of the following lithium ion portable jump starters. Scroll for more information.
What is The Best Lithium Jump Starter on the Market?
|Lithium Ion Jump Starter Brand||Jump Starter Model No.||Battery Size||Peak Amps||LED Light||USB Spec||Jump Start Size||Price||Product Review info Link|
|#1 DBPOWER 600A Peak 18000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter||DJS50||18000 mAh||600 A||Yes||2.1 A & 2.4A Smart||7.3 x 3.4 x 1.5 inch||$$||Our Review|
|#2 Rugged Geek INTELLIBOOST 600A Portable Jump Starter||IBU RG600||15000 mAh||600A||Yes||2.1A out x2||6.3 x 1.3 x 3 inches||$$$||Our Review|
#3 Suaoki U10 800A Peak 18000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter
|U10||18000 mAh||800 A||Yes||2.1A x2 Smart||3.94 x 7.3 x 1.6 inch||$$$||Our Review|
|#4 GOOLOO 600A Peak Portable Car Jump Starter||GP37||15000 mAh||600 A||Yes||2.1A Out & 1A Out||6.2 x 1.4 x 3 inches||$$||Our Review|
|#5 NOCO Genius Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp||GB40||7,000 joules for 3s||1000A||yes x2||2.1A Out /In||3.2 x 6.7 x 1.7 inch||$$$$||Our Review|
|#6 RavPower Car Jump Starter||FBA_RP-PB053||18000 mAh||600A||Yes||2.1A and 1.5A out smart||6.7 x 3.3 x 1.4 inch||$$||Our Review|
|#7 Antigravity Batteries AG XP-3 Multi-Function||AG-XP-3||8000 mah||400A||Yes||2A, & 1A Out||6″ x 3″ x 1″ inch||$$$||Our Review|
|#8 PowerAll PBJS16000R Rosso Red Portable Power Bank||PBJS 16000R||16000 mAh||600A||Yes||2.1A Out x 2||6.5 x 2.9 x 1.2 inch||$$$||Our Review|
What pocket-size portable jump starter do I need?
The physical size of many lithium jump starters is all very similar. About the size of an old VCR cassette tape.
The only contributing factor in jump-starting size is the internal battery dimensions that are used for the bump starter.
If a pocket jump starter has a larger internal mAh battery, it usually will, in turn, be able to have a higher peak amp rating and long jump run time. It will also be able to charge up multiple items for android phones and tablets.
But be wary of false claims for some of the fake Chinese lithium pocket jump starters sold on places like eBay. They can often claim higher peak amps or higher storage rating of mAh. Their batteries can be substandard, and the electronics can be made without quality control or safety controls.
Look for real world reviews and tests.
How to use a Lithium ion portable jump starter.
- First of all, make sure your Portable Lithium jump starter is fully charged. But in an emergency, you can get away with as little as 25% charge. It’s always a good idea to top up your pocket jump starter every few months. Most manufacturers recommend a top-up charge at a minimum every 4-6 months, but if you use it for topping up your phone via the USB, or using the torch, its best to charge it immediately after. Then it’s ready for work when you need it.
- Unpack your battery jump starter, and plug-in the jump leads to your lithium-ion battery jump Starter Pack
- Open the bonnet of your car and look for the negative terminal of your battery. This will be shown by a minus – sign. Connect the black negative clamp lead to this.
- Next, connect the red positive clamp lead to the positive terminal of the battery. This will be shown by a + symbol.
- Turn on your jump starter, if you need to and start your car.
- If your car refuses to start, wait a few minutes for the jump starter to cool down and try again.
- Once your car starts immediately disconnect the portable jump starter.
How to jump-start a car
Either push start a manual car with the clutch in second gear, get up to speed and release the clutch. Or the easy way, get out your portable jump starter connect the red and black leads to the battery and start the car. The job was done.
Now you know how to use a Jump Starter.
I know what I would like to do
How to charge a micro portable jump starter booster pack
All Lithium portable jump starters will come with some sort of charging procedure. Most will just have a 110/240v wall adapter that you plug into the jump unit to charge it up. It will take a few hours to fully charge. Once complete, its best to remove the charger to prevent any possibility of overcharging. But more on that later.
The other method for charging your portable jump starter is if it has a micro USB port, that usually means it can be changed via a phone wall charger either 1 amp or above. But this will take longer than a wall unit charger.
A few micro pocket jump starters also may have a car cigarette socket charger, this can recharge your backup jump starter.
Overcharging lithium-ion batteries.
Overcharging is rare for newer pocket booster packs, but the risk is that lithium ion batteries don’t like to be stored at 100% as it reduces their service life.
So if you leave the mini jump starter on charge either from the cigarette lighter power or from a wall outlet, it will damage the battery and eventually fail. Just when you need it most.
Charge fully and unplug.
What can damage a portable peak Jump starter.
The main cause for failed jump starters with lithium batteries are:
- Short circuit
- Physical damage like dropping.
Leaving your lithium ion jump starter in direct sunlight, in your car over summer, is a sure way to kill the boost pack fast.
Lithium-ion batteries hate heat. In fact, most hard-core remote control hobbyist place their expensive lithium batteries in the fridge to store them. (True)
I recommend storing your portable emergency car jump starter either in the glove box down the bottom or under the passenger seat. Hot air rises and in these locations, it should hopefully stay fairly cool.
How many Amps do I need for a peak jump starter?
You want the most amperage possible. In portable auto jump starters, the more the better. Bigger is best. But be aware that there is a lot of incorrect details mentioned for Car Lithium jump starters.
It’s often hard to find the true milliamp-hour (mAh) rating for the battery.
You really have to either open up each portable jump starter to see the battery specs and/or do a load test.
So power according to Ohm Law Power = Volts x amps or P=VI
I wish portable jump starters would rate their products with 12v battery capacity. For example
Say we have a 10,000mAh 12v lithium battery. This battery should be able to provide 10A for 1 hour at 12 volts
So using the formula 10A x 12v = 120w It makes life easy.
But some rate them for 5v and even more confusedly 3.7 volts, so it makes the figures look even better.
Whats inside a mini jump starter.
A car starter with the new lithium-ion battery technology will do everything a led acid jump starter will do, only in a very tinny and light package.
There are 3 main components of a Lithium ion Jump Starter.
- The battery, which is a lithium-ion based battery pack. Similar to the flat 11.1v remote control lithium-ion polymer. This flat pack lipo cell is made up of 3x 3.7v lithium battery cells wired in series. Sometimes the internal batteries will be the round 3.7v 18650 lithium cell. Like an AA but only larger.
- The control circuit, which includes Charging, Discharging, battery voltage, protection circuits like overload and short-circuit. Safety is very important.
- Power Output, 12v leads to connect to your car battery or 5v USB output for charging phones, tablets and other tech devices. Can be a lifesaver in an emergency situation.
Where to buy a lithium Ion jump starter pack?
Many local businesses like Walmart, Target, and Costco will sell some type of portable auto mini jump starter. Just wait for a sale and do your research beforehand. eBay also sell most of the popular types of battery booster packs. Just make sure you buy from a repeatable seller as there are many fake lithium jump starters out there.
Amazon seems to have just about all of the most popular, and some not so popular battery starters out there. Amazon also often have really good prices for compact battery starters, and if you wait for a special like black Friday deals you can get a real bargain.
Check at the end of this post for extra deals from Amazon for Lithium Ion jump starters.
Smart booster cables.
Many mid-range and high-end lithium car jump starters have smart booster cables. These will have an integrated circuit which will include diodes, fuses, capacitors, and MOSFETs.
This is nice to see so many safety features like Inverse current protection, Voltage Feedback Protection, short-circuit protection, reverse polarity protection, overload protection, low-voltage, overcharge and over-current protection. This is super important so that you never have to worry about damaging your car, or yourself as Safety is very important in my line of work.
The cheaper lithium ion jump starters may only have an inline fuse on the positive lead. Some don’t even have that.
Shown below is a cheap multifunction jump starter inline cable protection circuit. As you can see there are blobs of solder, also no integrated circuits like capacitors or resistors.
Shown below is the jump cable protection circuit from Ravpower. Note the MCU or Micro-controller is feature packed. It’s a real smart jump cable controller.
The better smart jump booster cables will be 8 AWG wire or 3.3mm. Lower amp jump starters may use 10 AWG cable or 2.6mm. The smaller the cable the fewer amps it will be able to take before it overheats and fails.
#1This DBpower 600A lithium jump starter 3 in 1 has one of the largest internal batteries to get you on the road again fast. At 18000mAh it can provide up to 30 crank start attempts. Its rated at 66Wh and can start-up to up to 6.5L petrol or 5.2L diesel engines.
Included features on the DBPower 600A are:
- The new version has the LCD screen and a small compass when you get stranded
- Can charge the DBpower 600A with the included wall and cigarette car chargers
- Comes with a semi-hard mesh carry case that protects the micro jump starter but not as good as the Suaoki 600A G7.
- Top safety features like overcurrent protection, short-circuit protection, overload protection, over-voltage protection, over-charge protection.
- It equipped with a 2.4A USB Output and smart USB port
- The laptop output voltage can be switched between 12V/16V/19V, indicated on the LCD screen one of the very few that can do this.
- Choice of 2 colors Red and Yellow. The red goes faster (Just Kidding)
This DBpower jump start portable power system started a Toyota Kluger with ease 3 times in a row.
The DBpower DJS user manual is basic. But lets you know how to use the jump starter and change voltages for the laptop output ports.
We totally recommend the DBpower 600A. Many features were above the competition, and the lithium booster pack included many extra accessories.
At a price that will suit many customers, DBPower sure does have a winner on their hands. With over 400 Five star reviews, considering this is the newer version they are off to a great start. (no pun intended).
It is our Number 1 pick for multi-function jump starters. But due to its popularity is often out of stock, check out the Rugged Geek below for our No2 pick.
This little portable lithium Rugged geek Intelliboost 600a 3 in 1 jump starter is the best looking starter reviewed here.
Made to look like a tire tread and has lots of grip, it will stay in your engine bay when your engine starts up and vibrates. This is currently the only one here that is available to post out to Australia. We know you Aussies don’t have access to good quality Lithium Ion jump starters.
Flush with features like
- Full dual 2.1 amp USB charging ports, included 4-1 USB charge cables like iPhone and android micro USB.
- 19v output for laptops – 8 included laptop tips
- Bright LCD screen that you can see in the sun, tells you how much battery power is left.
- Will start petrol engines up to 6.0L and diesel engines up to 3.0L Including Cars, trucks, ATV, Sea-doo, Yamaha, jet skis
- Car cigarette socket charging port and wall charging.
- Comes with a hard plastic protective case.
“Intelliboost” is all about safety. When the cables on the Rugged Geek touch together, they won’t spark. When you first plug the cables into the RG600, the light on the jump starter will alternate red/green. Once you connect the cables to a battery on a vehicle that needs boosting, it will check to ensure the cables are connected to the right polarity (red to positive, black to negative). It will then allow jump starting.
This Rugged geek portable emergency car battery jump starter was tested on a Nissan X-trail 2.0L engine started no problems fast and strong.
Rugged Geek 600A user manual can be downloaded here
The Suaoki u10 lithium jump starter was a brand I had never heard of before. But this little lithium ion jump starter sure did surprise us. The quality was fantastic and riddled with features.
One of the nicest looking boost cases was also supplied. It is a padded flexible nylon case which can hold all of the cables and accessories. This was my favorite portable booster starter case.
Features of the Suaoki U10 800A portable jump starter are:
- Safety protection battery against over-voltage, under-voltage, short-circuit and over temperature.
- LED screen to show battery level
- TIR-C USB charging (Target Intelligent Recognition – Chip) faster safer charging.
- Wall power and car power adapter to charge your Suaoki U10 800A
- 8 x notebook/laptop 19v adaptors to charge your computers.
- Micro USB cable. Sorry, no iPhone cable. Well, my unit didn’t have one. But that’s fine we are an Android family!
What I really like about the Suaoki u10 is the dual 2.4 TIR-C USB ports as I can charge 2 Samsung phones at the same time with full power. The soft case is another really nice feature. Great way to protect your multifunction jump starter from damage and the heat.
We tested this Suaoki jump-start portable power system on a Mitsubishi Lancer 2009 and it started first try with a drained battery.
This little lithium battery jump starter from Gooloo is a very well made compact unit. With Built-in Multiple safety circuit design its features include
- Short Circuit protection, Over Load protection, Over Voltage protection, Over Charge protection,
- Auto power off after 30 seconds, Nice
- LED battery level indicator
- Emergency Led torch with 3 lighting modes
- Charge you Gooloo 600A via the included wall charger or the cigarette port in your car. 5 hours From flat to 100%
- USB x 2 ports One rated at 2.1A the other at 1A which is standard.
- 19v out port for laptops is also included, with a variety of tips and cables for iPhone or Android.
The Gooloo 600A comes with a drawstring case which doesn’t offer a whole lot of mechanical protection for the Gooloo but I guess it helps to keep the cost down. It also comes with a large mesh fold-able case. It is quite large so plenty of room for all the accessories.
This case is just a bit large for my liking. There are many happy customers with this lithium-ion jump starter due to the low price and reliability.
We tested this Gooloo portable emergency car battery jump starter on a Toyota Rav4 2.0L engine and it turned over with great power. No Issues.
With an emphasis on safety, this Jump pack is strongly recommended.
The user manual for the Gooloo 600A can be downloaded here
This Noco gb40 mini jump starter is an interesting product. It rates the power in Joules. Why be different? Its rated at 1000A now that’s a lot of amps for a little unit.
The quality is top-notch and it looks like it will last forever. Noco makes great products especially the Genius G3500 smart charger for car and motorcycle batteries. Which won our best battery tender for Harley Davidson motorcycles. Check it out its great value.
In the meantime, I have done some research about the claimed 1000A and there are mixed claims online. I have no way to test for 1000A at 12v so I’m not going to comment on something I cannot test for my self.
The 7000 Joules 3s represents the actual amount of power delivered in 3 seconds.
- Features spark-proof technology and reverse polarity protection. This means the clamps can be touched together and not spark.
- Designed for use with petrol engines up to 6 liters and diesel engines up to 3 liters
- 7000 Joules for 3 seconds.
- Noco boost jump-start can be recharged from the 2.1 Amp USB in port. That’s a nice feature. There is also a 2.1 amp USB out to charge smartphones.
- Dual LED lights with 7 light modes like Flash, SOS, strobe.
It may provide the most amperage but the Noco GB40 is also the most expensive in our jump-start round-up. If it was a little cheaper it would have come close to the top.
Started a corolla 1997 with a drained battery with ease.
The Noco jump starter is a great pick for anyone that wants a famous brand with quality components.
The Noco GB40 owners manual can be found here
The 3 in 1 Ravpower 14000mah jump pack was a stand out performer. The blue LCD screen clearly showed the power left after a few jump starts.
A very new kid on the block, compact power bank, car mini jump starter, and a LED flashlight, all fit into a portable design.
- Its Jump cable had a smart chip to prevent short-circuit, over charge, over current, over discharge, and reversed connection. Safety first.
- Comes with a 1 Amp wall charger and car cigarette charger.
- Dual 2.1A smart USB outputs to charge your phones really fast.
- Rated at 51W power 14000mAh at 3.7volts
- Portable carry tote pouch is nice and soft mesh plenty of room for all the accessories.
- Bright LED light with 3 flash modes fast blinking, SOS and Always on
- Diesel engines up to 3L and petrol engines up to 5L
It has one of the largest cable clamp protection circuits around. I guess this is to accommodate the fantastic safety features which are a huge plus.
The RAVPower 14000mAh is a very new jump starter in 2017 and one we will be taking to the workshop for a detailed workout. Read our detailed review here for this fantastic little jump starter.
The owner’s manual came be downloaded here
The Antigravity Micro-Start Xp3 is one of the smallest micro jump starters reviewed here. If space is your problem then this is the mini jump starter for you.
We love the fact that it comes with a nice soft mesh protection case that holds all your jumper cables and phone charger cables.
Antigravity Xp-3 Specs 3-in-1
- 110-Lumen LED Flashlight 3 patterns
- Petrol engines up to 5.7L
- Light capacity indicator. Press a button to see the level of battery remaining in the Micro-Start.
- Auto power off when not in use.
- In build safety protection for over charge and over discharge, short-circuit, back-charge, reverse polarity protection.
- Built small so it fits in your pocket yet so powerful it starts Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs, Snowmobiles, Watercraft like Sea-doos
- Nylon Carry Case, contains 1 universal 4-into-1 USB Cable (Tips are: Mini USB, Micro USB, Apple 8-pin, Apple 30-pin); 1 mobile Charger (plugs into vehicle’s cigarette lighter socket); 1 home/wall Charger.
- The XP-3 can also be recharged by any Micro-USB connection.
We had no issues with this starter starting a 3.3 L Toyota engine and also tested it out on a Yamaha MT-07 motorcycle and the Antigravity xp3 started it fine.
- It’s equipped with two 5V/2.1A USB ports to charge multiple phones super fast at the same time.
- The super bright LED flashlight has 3 illumination modes and will last 120 hours, LED Lumens: 86 Lm
- PowerAll features overcurrent protection, short-circuit protection, overload protection, Over-voltage protection, and over-charge protection to auto shut off.
- 20+ jump starts cranks before going flat.
- Petrol vehicles up to 4L and diesel vehicles up to 3L
- Most cables than any other unit reviewed here, iPhone 30 Pin Plug, 1 x Mini USB Plug, 1 x Micro USB Plug, 1 x LG Plug, 1 x Nokia Plug, 1 x Samsung Plug, 1 x Sony Ericsson Plug, 1 x Song PSP Plug,1 x AC Wall Charger, 1 x DC Car Charger
- Comes with a plastic carry case. Not as nice as the soft cases but does the job.
All up this PowerAll 600A is a fantastic little lithium jump starter. The reviews online are very positive and no major issues to report.
An added feature that the Powerall has, is the use of MOSFETs rectifier, manufactured by Texas Instruments. This a piece of serious hardware which I guess is being used for the protection circuits. Especially in the voltage feedback into the jump starter. So quality is here.
We had no issues with this starter starting a 3.3 L Toyota engine and also tested it out on a Yamaha MT07 with great results. Started first pop.
This PowerAll boost pack also ships to Australia so its one of the few here available to Australians from Amazon. I wish more would be able to be shipped to Oz
The user manual for extra info and specifications can be found here
Which Portable jump starter lithium for Boats, and Jet Skis?
Owning a modified Sea doo GTI 130 jet ski I often worry about being stranded out in the ocean with a flat battery. Unlike cars or motorcycles that can get jump started with a passer-by vehicle, or get push started if it’s a bike or manual car. Boats and jet skis are often all by themselves in the deep blue sea.
Most boat owners don’t even carry jumper leads so carrying a portable battery jump starter lithium is extremely rare.
My Jetski, on the other hand, has very limited space. So carrying a larger lead-acid jump pack was out of the question. It would just bounce around in the rough waves and maybe cause some damage internally to either the jet ski or the booster pack.
A portable lithium jump starter is the holy grail for jet ski owners. Any quality jump starter will do for Sea-doo, Yamaha and Kawasaki jet skis. But maybe get one without an LCD screen.
These LCD screens could be a point of failure. The Antigravity Xp-3 will work well for boats and jet skis as it has no LCD screen just led indicator so a great pocket jump starter.
There is just one precaution I would want you to do to protect your lithium starter. Either put it in a waterproof bag or wrap it in a few meters of glad wrap. Don’t forget to strap it down fast.
Water will kill a jump power pack faster than Mr. Krabs who saw someone touching his money. Sponge Bob anyone?
What Portable jump starter for V8 engines?
As V8 engines require a very high starting cold cranking amps due to high-compression, look for the highest peak amps portable auto jump starter you can find. When it’s cold you will require even more cranking amps due to the thicker oil viscosity. Most lithium jump starters around the 500 to 600 amps and above will do the job fine.
We recommend the DBPOWER 600A Peak 18000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter for any V8 or V6 Engine, due to the high peak amps and massive 18000mAh internal lithium-ion battery.
Be aware of some claims that are over 1000 peak amps as they may only do that for a second or three. Some cars may need more time than this for a successful start of a car engine.
Update: After many of you fans emailed us to do a review of these bigger high capacity booster packs, you can read our review here on the top 1000 amp jump starters.
Best Portable battery jump starter for motorcycles
Motorcycles have batteries just like cars but have a smaller 12-volt battery some also have 6 volts so be careful of this. The storage space on a motorcycle is very limited so a smaller lithium ion portable jump starter is best. The Amp rating can also be smaller due to motorcycles have smaller engines compared to cars.
The best portable jump starter for motorcycles is the Antigravity Xp3. Its small compact design and many safety features really make this a standout product.
Antigravity also gave a great customer service, with reading some of the reviews online anyone who had a complaint got it sorted out fast.
I included this smaller Antigravity Xp-3 Jumpstarter in the review as I use it for my Yamaha mt-07 motorcycle. So actual real-world testing over 6 months. Fits in the tool compartment. Even though it has lower peak amps at 400A it still has plenty of juice to start larger cars and 4×4.
Let me know in the comments below what Lithium ion Jump Starter you have and how it performs.
Update: As mentioned in the comments to do a review on the Anker Ultra Compact Jump Starter we got our hands on one. Check out our Anker review here.