If you are after a small Lithium Ion compact battery booster for your car, boat or ATV, you should check out the tiny DBPower 500A jump starter. This is the baby brother of the more larger, and feature rich DBPower 600A which we reviewed a few months back. It was such a great portable starter that it took out our 1st place ranking for the best lithium jump starter for 2017.
So we are back now to check out this smaller compact DJS60 500 Amp battery starter to see if it lives up to all the hype online. Everyone should own at least one of these, as they are so compact. You can just tuck them away under a seat in each car and just forget about them. The day you need it, is the day you are great-full you have bought one. It’s there ready and full of power to jump-start any car. This starter is smaller and a lot cheaper, than its big brother but can it deliver? Read on for our full review.
You can just tuck them away under a seat in each car and just forget about them. The day you need it, is the day you are great-full you have bought one. It’s there ready and full of power to jump-start any car. This starter is smaller and a lot cheaper, than its big brother but can it deliver? Read on for our full review.
DB Power DJS60 Pros and Cons
- Very powerful charging device. This Compact Battery Booster can Jump start vehicles over 20 times.
- Can be used as a power bank to keep your cell phone and tablets charged for days.
- Charges the equipment fast via the USB 2.4A Smart Charging Port.
- Adaptors for charging laptops, cameras plus USB port to charge Android / iPhone smartphones.
- 3-Year Warranty
- Sturdy protective covering saves the device from accident damage
- Well known brand name in the smart jump starter circle.
- Smaller capacity internal battery than the bigger DB Power 600A
- Battery Clamps are slightly small.
Compact Battery Booster DBPower 500A Features
- Car, Boat, ATV Lithium Ion Jump Starter: Able to bump start your vehicle (up to 3L gas or 2.5L diesel engines) up to 20 times with 500 amps of peak current. Simply amazing.
- It includes heavy-duty terminal clamps and cables. Its compact enough to store in your glove-box or under the seat as it comes in its own case.
- Advanced Smart Battery Charger: With an internal 12000mAh lithium Ion battery capacity, and smart USB charging ports, you will never be without power again. It can charge your laptops (include 8 in 1 laptop adaptors in the package), smartphones, tablets, and other devices at the fastest speed possible.
- Version 2 has an LCD Screen and Compass: The new LCD screen can show you the remaining battery power. The compass can help you find your way home when get lost in the jungle or the city streets. It’s a little gimmicky, but hey it works.
- Safety Features and Protection: the high-quality battery clamps have overcurrent protection; short-circuit protection; overload protection; over-voltage protection; and over-charge protection inbuilt into the leads.
- Whats In the Box: DB Power Jump Starter DJS60, 2 jump cables, 12V wall charger, 12V car charger, user guide, 3-year warranty with friendly customer service.
Whats Included in the DBpower 500A Case?
This DBpower 500A lithium Ion Jump Starter has all the accessories you will ever need, and then some. It’s great to see that some serious thought has gone into including some extra 8 in 1 laptop adaptor output connections of various sizes and pin configurations to charge different laptops.
There is a 12v cigarette charger which is handy as well as a wall outlet power pack to top up your boost pack. All these accessories can be squeezed into the DBpower hard case. This is designed to protect both the jump starter and the cables.
For more information and how to use this great little portable jump starter you can download the DBpower 500A user manual here
DBpower DJS60 500A vs DJS50 600A Jumpstarter
What size portable jump starter do I need?
Depending on the type and size of your car engine will determine what size lithium-ion jump starter you will need. We reviewed 8 top micro jump starters on the market the other month, and it was interesting to see booster capacity vs features.
This 12000mah portable battery booster is good for all family cars. According to the starting capacity chart which is included in the jump starter case, we are also good for the following cars.
- 4 Cylinder petrol and diesel engines less than 2000cc
- 4 Cylinder petrol engines less than 3000cc
- 6 Cylinder petrol engines with capacity less than 4200cc
- 8 Cylinder petrol engines less than 6000cc but only with over 50% charge capacity of the battery in the mini jump starter. In other words, make sure its fully charged.
What is a portable jump starter?
Gone are the days when you had to lug around either a large boost pack or a spare car battery to jump start your car. Nowadays all that power can be stored in a small case the size of a small book. The time will come when one day you will have a flat battery, either you have left your lights on, or your battery is just past its 4 years use by date and died.
These little portable jump starters can start your flat car battery in a few seconds and get you moving again fast.
Make sure you and your loved ones can get home when stranded. This DBpower 500A will jump start up to 3L gas cars or 2.5L diesel engines up to 20 times on a single charge. That’s just incredible.
You can recharge these compact battery boosters by either the included wall charger or use the car cigarette charge point.
Smart Car Battery Charger
If you are looking for a good car battery charger, check out our review on the Best Smart Chargers. These will give you some extra life in your battery, and extra money in your pocket. They really do work to desulfate your car lead-acid battery and keep it charged longer.
The DJS60 has a Powerful LED Night Light
With 3 modes of LED light (high, strobe and SOS), In an emergency, it can be a lifesaver when you go camping, have a picnic, or just in a power blackout.
- To use the flashlight just press the power button for a few seconds.
- Change to strobe just press the power button again.
- To turn off the light its the same procedure just long press the power button again for a few seconds.
Compass & LCD Screen
The included compass on the surface will help you find your way home. Sure its simple but it’s a cool feature that no other jump starter manufacture I know of includes. The LCD screen will show exactly the remaining batter jump power and output voltage selected, which helps you make better choices and use of the remaining power.
Faster & Smarter USB Battery Charger
It equipped with a super fast 2.4A USB Output and a smart USB port. With 12000mAh of battery capacity, you can charge your cellphones, tablets, and kindles at 2.4 amps. This is faster than most wall chargers. You can also use it to charge your laptop with 8 in 1 laptop adaptors (included in the package). The output voltage can be switched between 12V/16V/19V, indicated on the LCD screen.
Convenient Package & Ultra Compact
The unit is supplied in a fabulous quality semi-hard case featured also a yellow wrist carry strap. Unlike traditional bulky jump starter packs, it’s small enough to store in your glove box and light enough to pack in your bag.
1. Don’t ever try to jump-start an engine that exceeds the maximum displacement that the jump unit can bear. It will cause serious damages to the unit.
2. Don’t ever connect the positive and negative polarity together when it’s power on. Not even to test out the protection circuit.
3. Your jump starter will perform at its best when its battery is fully charged. If it’s less than 25% charged, it may not be able to provide enough power to start your engine.
4. Don’t jump crank the engine for more than 4 seconds. Please allow the mini jump starter to cool down for at least 30 seconds after each jump-start.
5. Always read the included instructions carefully before using.
Unboxing the DBpower 500A Jump starter Video
Check out this unboxing video clip of the DBpower 500A. It’s just packed with accessories which are fantastic. The only cable missing is an iPhone charger. Sorry Apple fans.
Both the DBpower 500A and 600A will be fine for most average jumpstarting jobs. If you have a larger 4×4 or a diesel engine, it may be better to go with the higher capacity DB Power 600A 18000mah compact battery booster. Check out our full review here
It’s great to see mico jump starters coming out with so many safety features and quality internals. You can buy with confidence knowing that this is one of the best compact battery boosters on the market at a great price. Check out the reviews on the links below.