In this post, we will be showing you how to install a fender eliminator aka tail tidy on a 2018 MT-07 Yamaha motorcycle. But this upgrade will work on all current FZ and MT07 bikes.
This mod will take between 1-2 hours depending how comfortable you are working on your street machine.
Tools and Parts Needed
- 8 and 12mm Socket.
- 3, 4, and 5mm Hex Allen key.
- 8 and 10mm wrench.
- Soldering iron. (Not essential)
- Heat shrink or insulating tape.
- MT-07 Fender eliminator of your choice.
As you remove each bolt and clip lay it down in order as you remove them. That way when you go to install them it will make sense and you can see if anything is missing.
MT-07 Fender eliminator Installation procedure.
- Start by removing the passenger seat using the motorcycle key to unlock it.
2. The rear mudguard plastics have 5 push button clips that hold in the rear plastic fairing. Push in the center button and pull them out. Save them as we will reuse some of them.
3. Pull down the black plastic shroud and pull out and off.
4. Remove the trunk panel storage protector and empty the contents
5. Use a 5mm Allen key and remove the 2x rider seat bolts and slide off the MT-07 seat.
6. Remove 6x 4mm Allen hex bolts. Two up front and two at the rear.
7. Use a 12mm socket to remove the 4 large rear side cover bolts. Two of them will be hidden under a plastic flap. Take the bolts out with the spacers. Don’t leave them in.
8. The removal of the rear side fairing is tricky but take it slow. Pull apart one side at a time from the rear outwards. Remove the top tail light cover. The bottom mudflap may drop out as well. (note: Don’t remove the whole side covers just pull them apart from the rear)
9. Unplug the left and right indicators and the rear tail light wires. You will have to unclip the wires before unplugging them.
10. Use a 4mm Allen hey key to remove the 2x tail light bolts and remove the whole light assembly.
11. The fender assembly is held on by 4x 8mm bolts. Remove these bolts and pull out the number plate assembly.
Start building your fender eliminator of choice. I am using one made by ISSYAUTO. There are a few designs around but I needed one that has indicator light provisions. The stock lights will fit on the Issyauto one.
It is best to build it before mounting it on the bike. Dont forget to use some loctite on the screws so they dont vibrate loose.
If the rear mud flap has fallen out then place it back in by gently prising apart the two side rear side fairings.
You can now mount the MT-07 fender eliminator using the supplied bolts.
Everything now goes back together in the reverse order.
Check out the video below on how to install a fender eliminator on a Yamaha MT-07.
The only cable I had to cut and join was the MT 07 number plate light. I used a cordless soldering iron and some heat shrink to connect the new light. But if you don’t have one the kit comes with crimp connections.
Be sure to test out that everything works before you bolt up everything. Now go out and enjoy your new MT 07 fender eliminator tail tidy number plate.
Will the fender eliminator stop mud being flung up?
It will stop a little bit of mud and road dirt being flung up from the rear wheel. On very wet roads I do find some dirt on the back of my riding jacket.
Are motorcycle tail tidys legal?
Depending on where you live you may have to check your local road rules. Usually, there are rules on height, angle, size, and how they are illuminated. I have been using this fender eliminator for over 2 years and haven’t had an issue with the local law enforcement.
I installed a red reflector strip underneath my number plate as it was installed on my old mudguard and it is the law here.
Basically any lights or reflectors that are mounted to the mudguard extension must be re-installed on the motorcycle in a way that meets the vehicle standards.
Here is more information on Queensland Australia number plate changes.
For California, they require License plates, including temporary license plates, shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging. Shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and so that the characters are upright and display from left to right, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground
Does this fit all model Yamaha MT-07?
Yes, it is compatible with 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 FZ-07 and MT-07 motorcycles.
Can the stock turn signals fit on the MT-07 tail tidy?
Yes, it is compatible with OEM Turn Signals and aftermarket LED turn signals.
The fender eliminator for my MT-07 took around 2 hours to complete. This is quite a tear down but if you have the correct tools it is simple.
I like the angle of the Issyauto fender eliminator and it has everything you need to do this mod.
Take it slow and look at the pictures and videos included in this procedure. The smaller tail tidy will give your Yamaha motorcycle a mean slick look. So now what? How about some more cheap MT 07 mods. Enjoy.