So you want to try your hand at some DIY Vinyl Wraps for your Car, Motorbike or looking for the best heat gun for paint stripping? Well, we have done a Top 5 Heat Gun Review for under $100 which will do the job fast and at the right price for 2018. Just don’t use them as a hairdryer….
Number 5: Black & Decker Heat Gun Review HG1300 Dual Temperature
Black & Decker Heat Gun Pros
Starting off our heat gun review is excellent value for money Black & Decker. With many features reserved for higher priced models like.
- 2 temperature settings (750 Degrees and 1000 Degrees) for a variety of applications
- Built-in flip stand for easy cooldown and hands-free usage.
- Lightweight and compact design for ease of use and handling
- Ideal for stripping paint, loosening a rusted bolt and many other applications
- Powerful 1375 watt. 4,600 BTU element
- Hands-free holding resting on its back
- 6 Foot heavy-duty cord
- 2-year warranty.
Black & Decker Heat Gun Cons
- Only one-speed setting
- Selector switch in front of the handle
- Needs more nozzle attachments.
Black & Decker Heat Gun uses
The Black and Decker HG1300 heat gun is great the DIY person. It’s no frills everyday reliable heat gun. Black and Decker make great tools for the home handyman and I still have many of their power tool in my shed 20 years later still going strong.
You can use the Black & Decker heat gun as a hands-free device by folding out the metal tab on the handle and then placing the electric heat gun on its back. As this heat gun only has side vests be mindful not to obstruct the air flow otherwise the heat gun can overheat.
Great for shrink wrapping soap, welding plastic and copper, bending conduit, stripping paint, removing wallpaper and melting stuff if you’re not careful.
All said for a cheap heat gun with a great brand name you can’t go wrong, just wish it had more attachments
Number 4: Wagner Heat Gun Review HT1000 1,200-watt
Wagner Heat Gun Pros
- 1,200-watt electric heat gun, manufactured in and imported from China
- It comes in the same safety yellow that the rest of the Wagner tools come in lately.
- General purpose all round heat gun for stripping paint, thawing pipes, bending conduit and stretching vinyl wraps
- 2 temperature settings (low 750 and High 1,000 degrees F)
- 4,100 Btu output for removing multiple layers of paint
- Accessories are the paint strip attachment and focus attachment would like some more.
- Heats up quickly in both high and low settings.
- Has a hanging hook to hold it on your wall.
- The handle was also nice and long so good for those with larger hands and a flat base for upright use.
- Nice and light at around 1.9 pounds and measures 16.5 by 9.8 by 17 inches.
- The Wagner heat gun comes with a generous two-year warranty. Makita
Wagner Heat Gun Cons
- The plastic felt cheap we didn’t do a drop test.
- We prefer on/of not in the front
- Needs more nozzles.
The HT1000 is a great, all-purpose heat gun that is suitable for many different heating applications. These jobs may include removing paint, melting glue from old flooring, bending plastics, cleaning freezer on low setting, tinting windows, shrink wrapping/window sealing, removing caulk, loosening glued on items, restoring automotive plastic, loosen rusted bolts or thawing frozen pipes. It produces 1200 Watts and 4100 BTUs with a temperature setting of 750° F. or 1000° F. Perfect for DIYers, homeowners, handyman or women even part-time contractors.
Extra nozzles can be found here for the Wagner Heat Gun Nozzle Accessory Kit includes 0503148 or 503148 or 30010 or 30010A
As an electrician, we use this heat gun for shrink-wrap on the low setting. On high, you would melt the heat shrink and cable and only be left with copper strands. We recently did a project that involved heat shrinking small cables for led light strips and this heat gun was great for that.
Wagner Spray Tech Corp is located in Plymouth, Minnesota. They design their tools and then get them made in China to keep the costs down. What’s not made in China now, right. Wagner has a great name and there are thousands of 4 and 5-star reviews. I also have one of their high power electric paint spray guns and I’m really happy with it.
It is one of the cheapest all round heat gun on the market. Also one of the best sellers on Amazon
Number 3: Makita Heat Gun Review HG551V
- Variable temperature control dial (180°– 1020°F), electronic with numbered settings, for uses like vinyl wraps heat shrink, de-frosting fridge freezers, bending conduit, stripping paint, soldering copper piping and restoring plastics. With the variable temperature, you can get the perfect result for a wide variety of applications
- 2-speed blower settings (8.8 and 16 CFM) for greater versatility
- Precision balance and rubberized handle for greater comfort
- Rear stand supports gun in up-position for operator convenience, still proving plenty of air flow
- Optimized air intake around the motor is engineered for longer motor life for better cooling
- The HG551V is engineered for industrial applications
- Rubber handle to make it more comfortable to use. Nice feature.
- 1400 watts at full power means you can tackle even the largest of jobs. 12 Amps
- Nozzle puts out air in a small controlled area not blasted everywhere like a hair dryer
- Ceramic core to protect the heating element for longer heat gun life.
- The Makita heat gun was nice and light at 1.3 pounds.
Makita Heat Gun Cons
- More attachments needed. Like many reviewed here, there are just not enough attachments supplied and must be purchased separately
- Price slightly high, but this is marked for tradesmen.
- 1-year limited warranty
Makita is a brand you pay for quality, but also at a quality price. It was a little rich for standard features, but it was built to take a hit by the looks of lit. For tradesman use, this is the one to get as it quality built to take a beating. Makita makes excellent tools.
It has very low vibration and it didn’t sound like a turbojet taking off, so this heat gun would be ideal for indoor jobs. After using it for 20 minutes striping paint, I felt I could keep going all day long balance was great.
Its temperature range is huge at 180°F all the way up to 1020°F, this is perfect for temperature sensitive jobs. If you are a tradesman and want the best this is it.
Number 2: PORTER-CABLE Heat Gun Review 1500-Watt PC1500HG
Porter Cable Heat Gun Pros
- Large 1500-Watt motor
- Dual fan speed selector on the front selector switch
- The variable temperature control dial on the side for ergonomics from approx 120 F to 900 F fan setting 1. (130 F to 1150F fan setting 2)
- Integrated hands-free support to be able to stand upright
- Long 6-Feet high-grade heavy-duty cord
- Plastic Hanging hook to store your heat gun on a wall
- Lightweight 2-pound heat gun
- Rubber bumpers on the side and handle
Porter-Cabler Heat Gun Cons
- Switch in front of the handle.
- Louder than some of the other units. Due to a larger fan motor.
As mentioned earlier this heat gun can do it all and then some great for applications such as Paint removal, Bending PVC pipes, welding plastics, welding copper pipes, removing adhesive tiles, Shrinking plastic tubing and shrink wraps. Perfect for vinyl car wraps due to the variable setting.
I love the color scheme and it feels quality and well-built. The front selector switch was easy to operate with one finger and it should last a lifetime.
Number 1: TR Industrial Heat Gun Kit 1500w with Variable Temperature Control
This is our pick for one of the best heat guns on the market at the moment. Sure you can spend a lot more on a digital display heat gun but unless you are using it every day the extra expense is not worth it.
TR Industrial Heat Gun Pros
- Perfect for all jobs including Shrink tubing, paint stripping, plastic welding, PVC pipe bending, copper tube welding and carbon wrapping all become easier with this 1500W heat gun.
- Variable adjustable temperature and side and dual fan speed selector switch on the back handle, very nice.
- Built-in auto overheating protection makes your heat gun safer and long-lasting.
- This heat gun comes with the ability to stand upright so you can use both hands.
- This TR Industrial heat gun comes with a 2-year warranty to give you peace of mind.
- Huge range of nozzles and accessories including a fan nozzle, cone nozzle, spool reflector, glass protector and a handheld scraper.
- Great front hand protection bumper
- Fast heat up. Under 10 seconds
TR Industrial Heat Gun Cons
- Slightly Loud due to the large motor
- Added weight due to the larger motor and hand bumper
- The molded carry box has a place for everything and it all must go back this way or the lid won’t close. remember to take a picture or you will spend 10 minutes trial and error fitting it all back. The case is a little small
This is what we have been waiting for. A heat gun full of accessories. This set includes 5 heat gun nozzles to serve several different purposes, like paint stripping, soldering, scrapping, and welding.
You need different accessories in order to redirect the hot heat in varying ways. It works great to soften the glue to remove car and boat registration stickers. It also comes in a carry box to store all your heat gun nozzles and Tr Industrial Heat Gun. Just don’t put your heat gun in the box when it’s hot, wait till it cools down. Your box will melt fast.
The Tr Industrial 1500w heat gun is very well made it conforms to your hand nicely and I feel very comfortable holding it. I know I can do a vinyl wrap with it and swing my hand back and forth over the car and not worry about smashing my hand on a part of the car due to the heat gun finger guard bumper. The plastic feels nice and durable and should take a knock no problems.
We used this heat gun to remove wallpaper from one of the kid’s rooms on the low setting it worked great.
TR Industrial Heat Gun Specifications
- 1500 Watts / 12.5 AMP
- Variable Temperature Control
- Dual Fan Speed (Setting I: 122-842°F, Setting II: 194-1112°F)
- Integrated Stand (sit upright hands-free)
- Built-In Overheating Protection
- Carrying Case
- 2-Year Warranty
The TR Industrial was the best heat gun reviewed to date. It had the best features and the most accessories for the best budget price.
Honourable Mention Ozito Heat Gun Review Late Arrival
This 2000W, Ozito heat gun unit was the underdog, and it was a surprise how well it performed and the comfort level was great.
- The stand-out feature was the variable temperature setting knob on the left-hand side.
- It can stand up straight for off hands work and has a removable front heat cover for working in tight spaces.
- 2 Speed airflow allows you to select the right airspeed to suit the application
- Easily control the temperature between 50-
- Easily control the temperature between 50-
- Lots and I mean lots of Nozzles and scrapers included to increase the versatility of the tool.
- Comes with a carry case with all tools and attachment neatly stored away.
- Many of the other more expensive heat guns didn’t have a carry case.
- With a 3 year warranty (don’t lose your receipt) and only $49 from Bunnings this heat gun will be flying off the shelves.
TR Industrial 89200 1500W Heat Gun Kit with Variable Temperature Control very similar to the Ozito for different markets sold on Amazon.
How to care for your Heat Gun
Use only mild soap and damp cloth to clean the tool. Never let any liquid get inside the tool; never immerse any part of the tool into a liquid. Always let the tools cool down before packing them away.
What to do if your Heat gun won’t turn on?
Heat gun troubleshooting and solutions
- Heat Gun will not start: Cord not plugged in? Plug tool into a working outlet. Possible damage to the heating element. Replace the heat gun.
- Circuit fuse is blown: Replace circuit fuse. If the electric heat gun causes the circuit fuse to blow, discontinue use immediately and have the heat gun replaced. Also, check the load on the power circuit. Move to a new outlet or turn off other power-hungry devices. Heat guns use a lot of amps.
- The circuit breaker is tripped: Reset circuit breaker. If the heat gun repeatedly causes the circuit breaker to trip, check the load on the circuit from other devices. If no other devices are being used replace or repair the heat gun.
Heat Gun Carbon Vinyl Wrap
Vinyl Carbon Fibre Black 3M Wrap is my go-to product. It allows you to completely morph the exterior and interior of your vehicle or motorcycle.
Carbon Vinyl Wrapping can make any item look great. Vinyl Wraps are fairly cheap but will add value and style to the product you are wrapping.
- PlayStation 4 / Xbox 1 controllers (for the kids)
- Car and Bike parts (for the dad)
- House Trim (for the wife)
- Computer cases
Don’t forget to clean the parts well and heat and stretch, heat and stretch the vinyl wrap for best results.
How to vinyl wrap cars
Start by cleaning the surface extremely well
Conclusion: Our Top 5 Heat gun review winner
While most heat guns will be fine for paint stripping ad conduit bending finer detailed work will require more attachments and a variable heat. Wrapping Cars and motorbikes or any other object for that matter requires a gentle heat. The Tr Industrial heat gun delivers quality and quantity at a great price and warranty.
If you are after more accurate LCD Heat Gun we have done a review on a few of them. Even though they are about twice the price, the many included attachments and features make them another option so check them out.
Best Heat Gun Reviews from ezvid
Depending on where you live you may have access to some other heat guns. Ezvid has done a review of their Top 10 Heat guns see below
Let me know what model heat gun you prefer to use for either work of DIY stuff