This post contains a list of weight reduction upgrades I have either changed or removed completely on my Yamaha MT07. Most are street legal mods depending on where you live.
The 2018 MT07 is already a light motorcycle coming in at 179–181 kg (395–399 lb) with a full fuel tank. I wanted to increase the power to weight ratio by making this motorcycle as light as possible. But I didn’t want to break the bank doing it.
Whether you are racing or just looking for more power these upgrades will do the job.
MT 07 Weight Reduction Parts
|MT 07 Stock Part|
|MT07 Aftermarket Part||Weight Savings (kg)|
|Exhaust (7.2kg)||Akrapovic carbon (4.2kg)||3kg|
|Battery YTZ-10S (3.2kg)||ATZ-10 Lithium battery (0.8kg)||2.4kg|
|Airbox (1.5kg)||MT-07 Air box filter mod (0.7kg)||0.8kg|
|Rearsets (2.1kg)||Arashi Rearsets (1.1kg)||1kg|
|Rear Vision Mirrors||Bar end mirrors||0.6kg|
|Side metal covers, chain guard (1kg)||CNC aluminium chain guards||0.5kg|
|Clutch and Brake Leavers||Shorty Levers||0.2kg|
|Passenger rear pegs (1kg)||[Completely removed] (0kg)||1kg|
|Rear fender (0.8kg)||Fender eliminator (0.3kg)||0.5kg|
|Turn Signal Lights (0.5kg)||LED micro turn signals||0.2kg|
|Total Weight Savings||10.2kg|
MT-07 Carbon Fiber Parts
Carbon fiber parts for the MT-07 are a great weight saving idea. They are strong and light, but it costs a fortune. The benefits of carbon fiber are:
- High quality pre-impregnated carbon fiber
- Lightweight, strong and durable
- Advanced state-of-art autoclave technology
- Beautiful dimensional appearance, UV resistant
- Easy installation (direct bolt-on)
2013-2016 Yamaha FZ07 MT07 Carbon Fiber Air Intake Covers
GIAOGIAO Motorcycle Carbon Fiber Front Mudguard Fender
Other Weight Reduction Ideas
As well as making my motorcycle lighter I wanted to lose a few pounds myself. Jogging every second day for 20 minutes and watching what I eat made me lose a few pounds over the year.
I am now fitter and the motorcycle handles better as it is not has heavy.
When racing on a track I only fill my tank 1/2 way. This also shaves 6kg from the overall weight of the bike.
Yamaha MT-07 Power Mods
There are three things you can do to increase the power of your Yamaha MT07.
- MT07 Air Box Mod. This will increase the air to your engine. Yamaha restricts the airflow to tune it to the budget exhaust.
- Aftermarket Exhaust. This increases the airflow from your engine. Most aftermarket exhaust will help your bike breathe. I can recommend the Akrapovic Ti Exhaust which has been specifically tuned for the MT07.
- ECU flash or Power Commander addition. This helps with the fuel delivery once you have done stage 1 and 2. Air and exhaust.
If you can reduce the weight of your motorcycle you will increase its power to weight ratio. Every little bit helps. For even further weight reduction you could go to carbon fiber parts. But this will cost a whole heap.
I would rather spend my spare cash on better riding gear or another bike.
The above parts are simple and cheap weight reduction accessories for your MT07 motorcycle. You can read more about what I have done on my Yamaha MT 07 mods bling page.
Let me know in the comments below what weight-saving accessories you have added to your FZ07 / MT07.